A scenario is an XML file created with ScenarioBuilder. It is sometimes referred to as a script. A scenario contains actions that emulate the activity of a user interacting with an application. Scenarios can also be called in other scenarios with the “Play Scenario” action.
Creating scenarios is simple. Here we will explain how to create a new scenario in ScenarioBuilder.
NOTE - when recording your scenario, it can be very helpful to take advantage of the ScenarioBuilder Recorder toolbar. Refer to this article for more information.
There are several ways to start a new scenario:
- On the splash screen, click New Scenario
- Click the New button on the Home tab
- Click New Scenario from the ScenarioBuilder File > New menu.
Whichever method you choose to begin, the "New Scenario" window opens. From here you can start your new scenario.
- Name: Enter a meaningful name for the scenario.
- Type: Choose scenario type (allows you to put scenarios into categories). To learn more about scenario types, please refer to this article.
- Description: Add an optional description to help identify the scenario.
Select one of the four ways for your scenario to begin.
Tip: Click Show Me to view a short video explaining how that method works.
Click Start Recording to begin recording mouse movements and clicks. This choice opens ScenarioBuilder in Record mode. Scenario Recorder will launch. Click on any icon on your desktop or toolbar to launch the application you wish to test.
Open Web App
Click Open Web App to launch a web application with your default browser or a specified browser. This choice opens ScenarioBuilder in Record mode. Begin by entering information when prompted:
- Browser: Select the desired web browser.
- URL: Provide the complete URL address of the web application (e.g. http://www.automai.com). Click OK. The web application will open and Scenario Recorder will launch.
Click Start Application to start your company's application or any installed application such as notepad.exe. This choice opens ScenarioBuilder in record mode. Begin by entering information when prompted:
Open: Enter the name and extension of the executable file. Provide the full path unless the file resides in the Windows path. Click OK. The application will open and Scenario Recorder will launch.
Click Manual Scripting to start an empty scenario with no Actions. ScenarioBuilder opens in the edit view. Now you can create actions for your scenario manually.