Installing Citrix XenApp 7.5 on Windows Server 2012
This blog will demonstrate my process of installing XenApp 7.5 on a Windows Server 2012. It is important that the account being used to install XenApp is part of a domain, this is necessary in order to manage Citrix Studio. In this article the installation process will be explained for the Delivery Controller and the VDA (Virtual Data Agent) on the same server by running the XenApp installer twice. It will also show how to manage Citrix Studio, Storefront, and how to activate the 30 day trial license for this guide.
I. Installing the Delivery controller
1) Start the Installer and click on XenApp.
2) Click on the Delivery Controller box.
3) Accept the License agreement then click next.
4) Since we are installing on the same server go ahead and install all 5 components.
5) Once you get to the Features section you will see 2 options. I will need to install an SQL server so I will be checking the first box. The install Windows Remote Assistance is an optional. Once you have chosen your selection go ahead and click on next.
6) Under Firewall section the configuration should already be chosen as automatic unless you are not using a Firewall you can change the option to manual. Once you have made your selection go ahead and click on next.
7) In the Summary section you will be able to see the prerequisites and a list of the components you are installing. Once you review and see that everything is correct go ahead and click install.
8) Once the installation is done go ahead and check the Launch studio box and click on finish.
*Note: while running the installation your machine might need to restart in order to finish the installation.
*Note : Before you continue to Citrix studio you have to make sure you're logged in as a domain user before you can start to configure in the studio.
II. Installing Citrix Studio :
1) Once the Studio opens up you will see the Welcome to Citrix Studio. Here you will click on the Deliver applications and desktops to your users.
2) Next you will see the Introduction page. On this page you will choose the option that states "Recommended for new users" and fill out the section under Site name. Once done go ahead and click on next.
*Note: for Guide purposes I will enter my own site name. This can be whatever you want to name it.
3) Here you will enter the Database server and a Database name. If the database does not exist it will create one automatically. Once finished go ahead and click Test Connection.
4) Click on ok
5) Click on close
6) Now go ahead and click on next
7) Enter your Citrix License Server and click on the connect option. From here you will select the correct license. Once you have selected your option click on next.
*Note: As stated before we will be using the 30 day trial for this guide
8) Select your connection type then click on next to continue
*Note: For the purpose of this guide I will choose No machine management as my connection type.
9) On the App-V Publishing make sure the default setting is checked (the default option is no) and click next. This will lead you to the summary section. Once here go ahead and Click on Finish.
III. Installing the VDA (Virtual DATA Agent):
1) Run the installer like we did for the delivery controller but this time look under the Prepare Machines and Images tab and choose the Virtual Delivery Agent for Windows Server OS.
2) Located on the Environment section under the configuration tab we will choose the Enable connections to a server machine and then click on next.
3) Located in the core components section you will see the option "Citrix Receiver" .Once you have made your choice in this page go ahead and click on next to continue.
*Note: That checking this is optional but for the guide I will be selection this option.
4) Fill in the XenApp Delivery Control Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) installed in the previous steps during the Citrix Studio section and click on Test connection.
5) Click on add
6) Click on next
7) Click on next
8) Click on next
9) Click on the install option.
10) At this point everything in the VDA is installing. Here you will receive a notification stating that the machine needs to restart. Go ahead and click on Close and that will enable the restart process. Once it has rebooted it will continue from where you left off in the installation process. Once this is completed click on the finish box.
IV. How to set up the Machine Catalog
1) To start off we go back to the Delivery Controller Console which would be Citrix Studio and click on Set Up machine for desktops and applications or remote PC access.
2) Once on the Introduction page go ahead and click on next.
3) Make sure that the Windows Server OS is checked then select next.
4) Once you get to the Machine Management section make sure you choose what is applicable then select next.
5) Located in the Machines section locate and click on Add computers.
6) Once you have chosen your computer go ahead and click on Next
7) The Summary section will show you what you have just configured. On the bottom you would need to fill out your Catalog name then click on finish
*Note: This name is for your own reference
V. Setting up Create Delivery Group
1) On the Getting Started with Delivery Groups section click on next.
2) In the Machines section choose the catalog you have created and input the number of machines that you will be using for this delivery group. Once you have selected the number of machines click next.
*Note: I will be using only 1 machine for this guide
3) On the Delivery Type choose the Desktop and applications option and click next.
4) In the Users section click on Add users. Once done adding the users click on next.
5) Under Applications you will see the Add applications manually. Click on that option then select your applications. Once selected click on ok then select next to continue
*Note: For guide purposes I will be using Notepad as my application.
6) Once added you will arrive at the StoreFront selection where we will use the manually, using a StoreFront server address that I will provide later option and click on next.
7) Located under the Summary Section you will see 3 blank areas starting with the Delivery Group Name. For guide purposes we will name all 3 of these "XenApp75″. Once filled in go ahead and click on Finish.
8) You will now see the common task window which will show the site configuration/machine catalogs and the delivery groups.
9) Once here you will see the Test site Option click on this so you can run your test
VI. Configuring the StoreFront
1) We will need to configure the StoreFront which ties with what we have configured in Citrix Studio in order to make our website work. (Ex: Machine Catalogs/Delivery groups) To do this we will open up the StoreFront Program. Once opened we will click on View or Change stores.
2) You will see the option Create Store on the top right box. Once located open that option.
3) Now that you have opened the Create a Store option you should see a pop up screen that will ask you for the Store Name.
*Note: This name will be used to help the users identify this store.
4) After you have filled out your Store name you will see the Delivery Controllers section. Here you will click on add.
5) Once you have opened the add option you will see a pop up stating "Add Delivery Controller"
The first box will show Display name as Controller.
*Note: You can change the display name but for this guide I will be leaving it as is.
6) Under the display name you will see the option description "Type" Make sure you choose XenApp as the type. And for the server it depends if you are using a VM for this installation enter that specific IP and if you are using a desktop for this installation use your desktop IP.
7) Once these are chosen before you click on ok you will see and option that states "Transport Type" it is very important that you change this type from being "HTTPS" to "HTTP". If you do not change this setting your XenApp will not work. Do not worry about the exclamation mark you will see once you change this.
8) Once you have pressed on OK you will be directed to the Remote Access section. Here you will see the remote access option all you have to do is make sure that the default "none" is chosen. Once you made sure all you have to do is click on create and the store will now be created.
VII. How to activate and update your License
*Before moving onto using XenApp we need to make sure our license is updated. Since I used the 30 Day trial for this I will be explaining what I had to do to make sure the license was up and running so that XenApp will work.
1) In your XenApp trial request response email, you will find the key code. This is the key code that will be referred in the next process
2) Log in to your Citrix account, under the Licensing section click on All Licensing tools.
*Note: There will be a link located in the email which reads "My account" you can use that to access the Citrix page.
3) Once that is opened you will see a list of options. Go ahead and click on the one that says "Allocate"
4) You will be transferred to the Activate and Allocate Licenses. Click on "Don't see your product?" and you will be asked to enter your license. Go ahead copy the Key into this section. Once entered Click on confirm and add your info for your VM or Desktop and confirm. Once done you will have activated your trial. You will receive a download once you have completed this step with your License File. Keep a copy on your desktop background. Make sure that the file name for this file ends with ".Lic" if it does not end with this your license will not work. Now right click on this file and select copy.
5) Open up Computer/LocalDisk(C:)/Programfiles(x86)/Citrix/Licensing/Myfiles. Once here paste a copy of your license document in this folder.
6) Once done go ahead and open Citrix Studio. Under the Configuration tab located on the left hand side you will see the Licensing section. Go ahead and open that section.
7) Now that is open click on "Add Licenses". Choose the license file document that you made a copy of onto your desktop. Once you have done that you will receive an option asking if you want to replace the current license/ overwrite the license, click on yes. Once done restart the pc to apply the license onto Citrix.
*Note: Once restarted your Citrix Studio will have its license updated. This will ensure that XenApp will work once you log in.
8) Now open up your web browser and type in the info for your site which would look like this http://hostname/Citrix/StoreWeb. Once you have enter that info and gone to the link you will see the Install Citrix Receiver to access your applications screen. Accept the agreement and click on install.
9) Once installed Enter your User Name and password then click on Log On
*Note: You will now see your User in the middle of the screen.
10) Click on Apps and now you will be able to add the application you have chosen. Since we chose notepad that will be the application we see here. You have now finished installing Citrix XenApp 7.5.